It is our hope that White Tree Farm will evolve in the following stages:
- Stage 1 – Initially we want to feed ourselves and our family from our land while providing a peaceful place to work, play and create art.
- Stage 2 – As we grow and learn, we want to establish local markets for products to offset our expenses, but also to donate a percentage to charities and the less fortunate.
- Stage 3 – Finally, as we become more confident, we want to provide education and support to the local/regional food and artisan community.
As we progress on this journey, we will use the following to guide our decision making:
- Food will be an important part of every day, keeping our resources as close as possible to where we live, growing food sustainably and building healthy soil.
- We will look to minimize our energy footprint as well, looking at concepts like net-zero housing and renewables.
- Wherever possible, we will build using natural building materials and methods that are beautiful, non-toxic and have a minimum impact on the environment.
- We will emphasize quality instead of quantity.
- We will target for simplicity in what we own and how we live. The things in our lives should be both beautiful and useful.
- We will protect our watershed from pollution.